Here’s how to put yourself – or someone you admire – forward for an award
The Yorkshire Asian Young Achievers awards (The YAYAs) are open to young people who are aged between 16 and 30 years old on November 4, 2021, of South Asian heritage (e.g. Pakistani, Indian, Bangladeshi etc), who were born or are living and working in Yorkshire.
They will be socially-mobile young achievers who have overcome deprivation and disadvantage, or have broken through traditional barriers to progress.
Entry is by completion of the form on the YAYAs website and candidates may be nominated by themselves or someone who knows them.
A nominator is likely to be connected with the organisation with which the candidate is associated, the company for which they work or the educational institute in which they are, or have, studied.
Candidates and their nominators must be prepared to answer questions by phone or in person if the judges require it and, in some cases, documentary evidence may be required to support their entry.
A shortlist of three people will be selected in each category and the winners will be announced at the gala awards dinner on NOVEMBER 4, 2021.
In particular, we are looking for nominees who have overcome deprivation, poverty or less privileged backgrounds to make their way in life. We are seeking people who have:
- Overcome barriers to their progress, such as traditional attitudes to their backgrounds, gender, race or religion
- Achieved against all expectations
- Overcome difficulties, be they physical, mental, financial or social, to achievement or social mobility
- Given exemplary service
- Have changed things or made things happen in a way that would benefit others
- Have demonstrated innovation and/or entrepreneurship
- Have given selfless service to other people, to a specific group or to the wider community
- Stood out above others achieving in a similar field, group or community
- Can inspire others or be seen as a role model to encourage success or raise the aspirations of other young South Asians in the future
Please see the individual category details for more information.
AWARDS NOMINATION RULES AND CONDITIONS
- All entries must be submitted on the official online entry form.
- The closing date for entries will be 9am on Saturday, July 31, 2021. Entries received after this date may not be considered.
- Nominees may be profiled in press releases to newspapers and other media and may be featured in print or other media and on related social media.
- Shortlisted nominees will be expected to appear in a short video (no longer than two minutes) to be shown on screen at the awards ceremony and online on the awards website.
- The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding their deliberations or decisions.
- If any information provided about the nominee is discovered to be false, inaccurate or misleading, we reserve the right to disqualify the nominee from the competition.
- The shortlisted nominees and a guest of their choice will be expected to attend the awards presentation dinner and ceremony at the Cedar Court Hotel, Bradford, on the evening of November 4, 2021. Dinner and reception/table drinks are provided but travel to and from the event will be at their own expense.
- No information regarding the winners will be given prior to the event.
- All shortlisted nominees may be mentioned or featured in publicity in various media and social media in the build up to and following the announcement of the winners at the ceremony.
- All award winners will be featured in photographs, videos, print, online and social content and will be featured in publicity to promote the awards in the following year.
- The Yorkshire Asian Young Achievers Awards title and logo and the YAYAs short-form and logo are the © copyright of the QED Foundation and must not be used without the written permission of the organisers.